BIOCHEMISTRY SHORT ANSWERS
Related to Lecture 11 Nitrogen & Intergration
PICK 5 Questions from the below and give answers!
1) What is the fate of exogenously supplied amino acids that are not used for biosynthesis and name the major organ responsible for amino acid degradation in mammals.
2) Describe the reactions catalyzed by the aminotransferases (transaminases) and state the major function of these reactions.
3) Describe the transport of nitrogen from muscle to liver.
4) Describe the strategy used by humans for catabolizing the carbon atom skeletons of amino acids and name the seven major metabolic products formed.
5) Describe the basis for the designation of the amino acids as glycogenic/ketogenic, and classify each amino acid.
6) Define nitrogen fixation and the groups of organisms that can carry out this conversion.
7) Describe the nitrogenase complex and explain the roles of its reductase and nitrogenase components.
8) Outline the key roles of glutamate and glutamine in the assimilation of NH4 into amino acids and describe the reactions of glutamate dehydrogenase, glutamine synthetase, and glutamate synthase
9) Identify the essential amino acids for humans and explain why they are essential.
10) Describe the single-step biosyntheses of alanine, aspartate, and glutamate.