In their short statement published in 1957, Peter & Alison Smithson wrote that the essence of Brutalism in not stylistic but ethical. Discuss what this meant for their architectural philosophy and practice, with reference to specific buildings.
- William Curtis, Modern Architecture since 1900, Chapter 29-30
- Elaine Harwood, Space, Hope and Brutalism, 2014
- Max Risselada (ed.), Alison & Peter Smithson: A Critical Anthology, 2011
- Irenee Scalbert, ’The Smithson and the Economist Building Plaza’, in Architecture is Not Made With the Brain: The labour of Alison & Peter Smithson, ed. M. Mostafavi, 2005
- Alison & Peter, Smithson, ‘The New Brutalism’, Architectural Design, April 1957