Subject: Legal Issues
Gender Inequality in sports and relevant legal issues outline
My general idea is to divide this essay to three parts:
- Gender inequality issues in sports
– gap in salaries/prestige
– Opportunities to participate
– Unequal support from media: more focus on men games and less exposure on media (women)
– Most of sponsorship vacancies were given to men as compared to women
– Unequal policies/treatment (unequal retire program and injury policies), working conditions and facilities to use
– Pregnancy discrimination (as terminate or reduce athletes’ scholarships)
For each entry, you may want to provide corresponding examples to identify gender inequality in sports. Especially give me good examples on unequal retire program and injury policies. Also, please identify and give examples that there’s no (little) wage gap in Cuba.
- Laws and legal provisions
There are some laws prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex. I hope you can clearly identify them (Write down the complete content of provision and introduce them that I list below)
– Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
– Equal Pay Act of 1963
– Title IX
– Pregnancy Discrimination Act (P.L. 95-555)
- Hong Kong
– Sex Discrimination Ordinance
– Anti- Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW)
– Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth)
III. How do these laws apply to sports and case studies
Please take 3 examples (one in U.S., one in Australia, one in China) and clarify how laws (above)help those women athletes from struggling in unequal environment. In these cases, one athlete may bring a lawsuit; clarify what laws above are being violated.
In addition, you may also want to discuss the cause of inequality, justification of inequality and solution provided. Make them adjustable in the essay.
Mostly important: Use legal citation when you cite provisions.