This assessment task requires that you synthesise your understanding of organisational culture and leadership with your theoretical and practical knowledge of OB in Australian organisations. The focus of this activity is to determine how the practice of OB must be redesigned and realigned in multiethnic/multicultural contexts to ensure cultural appropriateness and to achieve organisational effectiveness.
Australia has one of the world’s most culturally diverse workforces. Managing different cultural workgroups has ongoing implications on the success of the organisation. However, cultural differences leading to conflicts caused by ineffective communication and increasing moral and ethical degradation at workplaces continue to be issues of growing concern. Furthermore, as the workforce becomes more diverse and multigenerational, labour power may force improvement in the employment relationship and call for different kinds of leaderships. Recently, exploratory studies conducted in Australia have examined the blend of leadership styles/behaviours that different cultural workgroups preferred their managers to exhibit.
Using both literature and publicly available data:
- Identify and critically analyse and discuss the communication challenges that a leader would expect to encounter in relation to the cultural diversity of many Australian organisations.
- Critically discuss how leaders can address the ethical issues related to the cultural diversity in many Australian organisations.
- Identify, synthesise and critically discuss an optimal mix of leadership styles/behaviours which would be aligned with managing culturally diverse workplaces; these should be sufficiently flexible, and able to be appropriately adopted in Australian organisations.
The purpose of the assignment is to build up a specific understanding of managing a multicultural workforce and behavioural practices. This is a multi-strand knowledge gathering research that focuses on critical strategic issues in leadership and employee behaviour.
There are three key themes to be addressed, all in relation to culturally diverse Australian organisations.
- Identifiy, critically analyse and discuss the communication challenges that a leader would expect to encounter in culturally diverse Australian organisations (10 marks – see marking guide below: Information=3; Critique=3; Application=4).
- Critically discuss how leaders can confront the ethical issues related to culturally diverse workforces in Australian organisations (10 marks – (10 marks – see marking guide below: Information=3; Critique=3; Application=4).
- Identify and critically discuss the appropriate leadership models/styles for managing culturally diverse workplaces in Australian organisations (10 marks – see marking guide below: Information=3; Critique=3; Application=4).
- Correct use of spelling, puncuation, grammar, syntax, and sematics; well-organised structure; the use of academic style of writing and the correct use of APA6 referencing (10 marks).
Assignment 4 Case Study: Management and Leadership with culturally diverse workforces – 40% of Final Mark
INFORMATION RELEVANCE & DEPTH
MARK: / 9
Highly proficient and evidence of rigorous use of a wide range of relevant peer-reviewed literature. All key issues relating to task themes of communication, ethics and leadership, expertly canvassed
CRITIQUE, ARGUMENT – EVIDENCE, EVALUATION
MARK: / 9
Logical argument developed in a scholarly fashion supported by critical evaluation of evidence. Considers alternative interpretations, limitations, and significance of context. Conclusion draws argument together in and coherent and scholarly manner.
MARK: / 12
Scholarly application of relevant literature to Australian multicultural case and considered appreciation of contextual factors. Shows deep critical reflection of, and engagement with, subject material.
MARK: / 5
Excellence demonstrated in the use of language, spelling, grammar, syntax and semantics; well-structured organization, with good flow. Well-proofed copy.
MARK: / 5
Superior skill demonstrated in use of correct referencing style
Proficient in paraphrasing key comments and sparing use of direct quotations. Essay expertly presented in accordance with a high standard of scholarship.
The assignment should be in the form of an academic essay. Use a concise title that reflects the key issues. Use appropriate subheadings to organise the material. These will help the reader understand the development of the logic of you argument. By scanning just the subheadings, the reader should be able to gain an understanding of the key issues in you argument.
The essay should begin with an Introduction that orientates the reader towards how you are going to approach the material that you intend to cover. It provides a brief overview of the key questions, the logical progression of you argument, and you main conclusion/s.
The Discussion section should integrate your research and ideas into key arguments.
The Conclusion should comment on the significance of your argument/s in relation to the key issue/s and consider the implication for practice.
Use an academic style of writing and correct APA6 referencing. Include a Reference section at the end (not included in the word count).
This assignment must be submitted through Turnitin.