- Read the “HIPAA Administrative Simplification Statute and Rules” at http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/index.html.
- Review the links to each rule.
- Select one of the eight major components on page 58 of your textbook, Information Systems for Healthcare Management. 8th edition (2014). (FYI- See the components at the end of instructions)
- Choose a rule from the Simplification Statute.
- Discuss the features of a health information system related to this rule, or give an example of a health information transaction that would be applicable to your chosen area.
- Read the “Summary of the HIPAA Security Rule” at http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/srsummary.html.
- Conduct further research on one of the safeguards.
- Explain why it would be important for a health information professional to be familiar with your chosen safeguard.
- Find the “Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule” at http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/index.html.
- Read the following sections:
- Who Is Covered by the Privacy Rule
- What Information Is Protected
- General Principle for Uses and Disclosures
- Enforcement and Penalties for Noncompliance
- Briefly explain the basic principle behind the Privacy Rule.
- Write one research paper addressing each point above (1–3). Format your paper according to APA style.
- A reference list is required.
- The content of the paper should be two pages in length.
- Provide at least one resource from a peer-reviewed journal.
The 8 major components of HIPAA:
Employer-identifier standard, Enforcement, National provider-identifiers standard
Security standard, Transaction and code sets standard, Place-of-service codes for HIPAA transactions
Health insurance reform for consumers (HIPAA Title I), Medicaid HIPAA administrative simplification