Your paper this week consists of several steps: APA 6 pages with 4 references no older than 5 years.
1. Complete your case studies for HTN and high cholesterol.
2. Develop your paper using your case studies: provide a brief overview of your patients and address
the areas listed in the case study. As you identify answers to the case study questions, remember to
develop support and rationale for each area, that is, go beyond simply providing a short answer.
3. In the title of your post, please include the number for your cases and label each section of your
4. Search scholarly resources and find a current article (it does not have to be a research study) that
discusses recommendations or debate about for treatment of hypertension and hypercholesterolemia.
Include the most salient points from the article in your study.
Case Study #1 Hypertension
Please review and refer to the Hypertension Guideline Management Algorithm
Your patient is a 69yearold AfricanAmerican female who presents for followup for her blood
pressure. You evaluated her one month ago and at that time her blood pressure had increased
(146/90 mmHg) from the previous office visit (138/88 mmHg). In the office today the patient’s
blood pressure is 148/92 mmHg. The patient has a history of type II diabetes mellitus, for which she
takes metformin BID. Her most recent creatinine was 1.4. She admits that she has not been watching
her diet as much as she should have. You decide that she needs medication to help control her high
As you progress through these questions, please provide rationale for your answer.
1. According to the hypertension guideline management algorithm, what class or classes of
medication is indicated for your patient?
2. Based upon your answer for question one, which medication would you choose, and how would
you prescribe it (dosing and timing)?
3. What considerations or contraindications should be taken into account when using the medication
you have chosen?
4. What nonpharmacologic blood pressure control measures would you counsel your patient on?
Eating right avoiding high sodium foods, weight loss, food diary, shopping tips like how to read
labels (you can add more)
5. Assume that you start your patient on your chosen medication and that she is being compliant,
but her blood pressure is still not well controlled. Using the algorithm as your guide, discuss two (2)
further pharmacologic steps that you might take to help your patient achieve better control of her