Santa Fe Grill Restaurant Survey
In early 2009, two college business graduates (one majored in Finance and the other in Management) came together with a new restaurant concept for a Southwestern casual dining experience that focused on a Mexican theme with a variety of fresh food items and a friendly family-oriented atmosphere. After several months of planning and creating a detailed business and marketing plans, the two entrepreneurs were able to get the necessary capital to build and open their restaurant, calling it the Santa Fe Grill Mexican Restaurant.
After the initial six months of success, they noticed that revenues, traffic flow, and sales were declining and realized that they knew only the basics about their customers. Neither of the owners and taken any marketing courses beyond the basic marketing in college, so they turned to a friend who advised them to hire a marketing research firm to collect some primary data about people’s dining out habits and patterns. A marketing research company was identified and contracted to design a self-administered survey to collect the needed data. The following 6 research objectives were used to guide the design of the survey (a copy of the questionnaire can be found on Moodle)
1. To identify the factors people consider important in making casual dining restaurant choice decisions.
2. To determine the characteristics customers use to describe the Santa Fe Grill and its competitor Jose’s Southwestern Café.
3. To develop a psychographic/demographic profile of the restaurant customers.
4. To determine the patronage and positive word-of-mouth advertising patterns of the restaurant customers.
5. To assess the customer’s willingness to return to the restaurant in the future.
6. To assess the degree to which customers are satisfied with their Mexican restaurant experiences.
Analyse the data (see attached SPSS file Santa_Fe_Grill_Restaurant.sav) using appropriate statistical techniques. Include comparisons of Santa Fe Grill and Jose’s Southwestern Café. Prepare a report of your findings for the two owners. Your report should i) identify Santa Fe Grill’s competitive advantages; ii) address areas for improvement; and iii) provide recommendations (e.g. new marketing strategies in terms of segmentation, targeting, positioning, branding among others).
Format: Report Style
Word Limit: 2 000 (+10%) (individual assignment)