WVU Spring 2018 | History 180 | Essay questions on Ch. 22 & 23 and outside readings
Please write concise essay answer to TWO of the 6 point questions and ONE of the 8 point questions, 20 pts total. Due Friday 9 March, but please turn in earlier if you can.
6 point questions:
1. Using Ch. 22, the Human Record #63 and the outside online reading on the Russian emancipation of the serfs, and lectures, compare the Tanzimat reform of the Ottomans and the Russian Great Reforms.
2. Based Ch. 22, Human Record #68, and lectures, identify and explain the problems in the Chinese government, economy, and society that led to the Opium Wars and the Taiping Rebellion.
3. Based on Ch. 23, Human Record #56, #57, #61 and Multiple Voices 6, explain who was supposed to benefit from the New Imperialism, who really benefitted, and what methods did they use to benefit from it.
4. Based on Ch. 23, Human Record Multiple Voices 6, #44, #61, and #57, compare Muslim Jihadi imperialism in northern Africa and European imperialism in Sub-Saharan Africa. Consider: how the Jihadis and Europeans extended their territorial control, how the Sokoto caliphate and the Europeans each related to or exploited the people they controlled.
5. Based on Ch. 23 and the outside reading on the 1857 rebellion, analyze the Indian rebellion: what groups rebelled and why, what did the British imperial authorities do to cause it, and what did the British do to deal with the rebellion and prevent it from happening again?
6. Based on Ch. 23, Human Record Multiple Voices #6, #61, #62 and if you wish any related readings on American imperialism in the book, and lectures, compare American imperialism in the Philippines, the Caribbean, and Central America with European imperialism in Africa.
8 point questions:
1. Based on Ch. 22 and lectures, analyze the Taiping rebellion. Consider: how the Taiping movement and leaders changed over the course of the rebellion; what groups joined it and why; what groups opposed it, or fought it, and why; why it failed; its consequences for China’s people and government.
2. Based on Ch. 23, Human Record Multiple Voices 6 on African Treaties, and #61 and #62, analyze the interaction between Europeans and Africans in the New Imperialism. Consider how Europeans viewed and dealt with African leaders; how African leaders responded; how Europeans viewed and employed ordinary African people; how Africans’ views of Europeans change under imperialism. Overall, how would you describe European imperialism in Africa?