This course should give you an idea of the necessity for a Professional Code of Ethics, the moral values by which you determine your actions in the workplace. This assignment is a concrete representation of those beliefs and is meant to be valuable to you in both your personal and professional future. Keep in mind this assignment must be given sufficient thought, time, and effort.
Questions you can ask yourself:
- What are the core values of my occupation?
- What specifically about my beliefs are important to my occupation?
- Where does my occupation fit in with the ethical theories I am learning?
- How will my ethical code affect my career?
You are expected to turn in a typed paper, minimum 3-pages, in APA format, with the following guidelines:
Research an existing code of ethics in your profession, or a related profession. For example, you can look up the AMA Code of Ethics, the BBB Code of Ethics, Social Workers Code of Ethics, etc. You are required to provide a link to the code of ethics in the drop box.
In your paper:
- How having an ethical code impacts you, as an individual, in your profession.
- How ethical codes positively impact your company, your job, or society as a whole.
- How a lack of morals may negatively impact your company, your job, or society as a whole.
- Summarize/Analyze your researched code of ethics.
- Demonstrate how this code conforms to the ethical theories you’ve studied in this class and how you identify with the theory and professional ethical principles.
- Provide specific examples from your life that demonstrate how the theories apply.
- Form a list of 3 – 5 values from your professional code of ethics you believe all professionals should follow.
- For each value:
- What each value is, giving examples and why you feel this value is germane to your field
- Explain what aspects of each value make it universal to all professionals.
- Explain how this value may help you, personally, in your future career. Give an example of a situation in which that value will be useful