-IN DEPTH ANALYSIS
-Word limit: in total maximum 450 words per SECTION
-11 font, times new roman. Line spacing 1.0.
-3 academic references per QUESTION, hence, a total of 9 academic references per SECTION.
(with a minimum of 2 different academic source; e.g. scholarly journal, article from reliable newspaper, government article websites, etc).
(unless the question simply seeks your personal opinion in which case you would not require academic references)
-CHICAGO 16th referencing: in-text referencing to be included and reference list to be included after every section.
Essay answer layout:
Section A – Topic: Role of culture
1. Discuss how the internet and culture interact. Which most affects the other and how? Give some examples.
(tip: example, in country A,�..)
2. Discuss the types of operational conflicts that could occur in an international context because of differences in attitudes towards time and individualism. Give examples how time is so different between Australia and Indonesia.�
(tip: start with explaining about attitudes time and individualism and followed by examples through research)
3. Identify three stereotypes that foreigners typically hold about Australians. Why do you think they might hold these stereotypes? Identify three cultural stereotypes that you hold (about foreign cultures).
(tip: for the last part, it can be either; In Singapore,�.. In Indonesia,�. In US,�., or In Indonesia, these are the three stereotypes)
Section B – Topic: Communicating role cultures
1. Discuss the role of social media in global business communication.
(tip: e.g Facebook as a for advertisement to communicate their products)
2. What is the relationship of language and culture? How is it that people from the same language may still miscommunicate?
(tip: Part1- take note and mention how language and culture are somewhat inseparable. Language and culture barrier.
Part2- Research & Add personal example to show or research an example.)
3. Give some examples of cultural differences in the interpretation of body language. What is the role of such nonverbal communication in business relationships?
(tip: Part1- look at body language from one body to another. Example, Japanese culture and Western Culture.)
Section C – Topic: Cross-culture negotiation and decision-making
1. Discuss the relative use of nonverbal behaviors, such as silent periods, interruptions, facial gazing, and touching by people from various cultural backgrounds.
2. What are some of the differences in risk tolerance around the world? What is the role of risk propensity in the decision-making process?
(tip: 1. Definition of risk tolerance, 2. Differences in risk tolerance, 3. Definition of risk propensity, 4. Compare the differences of that role in decision making process).
3. Describe what you would expect in negotiations with Germans and how you would handle the situation.
(tip: Part 1- Research negotiation in German)
Section D – Global strategic management
1. Discuss the merits of the following entry strategies � exporting, turnkey projects and wholly-owned subsidiaries.
2. What opportunities and threats will likely emerge when a firm decides to move from purely domestic operations to global operations?
3. As the Korean population is increasingly able to afford high priced items like cars, this market represents a desirable growth opportunity for Japanese, German, and American car makers. However, the Korean automobile market is dominated by Korean car manufacturers (Hyundai, Ssanyong, and Daewoo). Oftentimes, such domination by a domestic manufacturer is blamed on trade barriers, but Korea�s tariffs are among the lowest in the world. Why then do most Koreans drive Korean-made cars? What entry strategy would be most appropriate for accessing this culturally-closed market?
Section E – Topic: Global Alliances
1. Why are there an increasing number of mergers with companies in different industries? Give some examples.
2. What are the common sources of incompatibility in cross-border alliances? What can be done in order to minimize them?
3. How might the variable of national culture affect strategic implementation? Use the Mittal Steel example to highlight some of these factors.
Section F – Topic: Global Structure
Explain the need for an MNC to �be global and act local.� How can a firm design its organization to enable this?
As an international manager, what would make you suggest restructuring of your firm? What other means of direct and indirect monitoring systems could you suggest?
What is a transnational organization? Because many large MNCs are moving toward this format, it is likely that you could at some point be working within this structure�how do you feel about that