On what grounds do managers claim a ‘right’ to manage’ workers? To what extent are managers able to use these rights and the associated management techniques to achieve workers’ ‘subordination, loyalty and productivity’ (Harbison and Myers, 1959, p.49)? In your answer explore both ‘traditional’ and ‘contemporary’ labour management techniques.
General essay guidance:
• Your essay must refer to the relevant course literature. Ensure that your essay is correctly and adequately referenced.
• You are required to show the approximate number of words used in the essay (excluding title and bibliography) at the end. Overlong or underlength essays may be penalised. A margin of +/ 10% is acceptable.
• Make sure that you fully address the essay title. Consult the guidelines on essay writing before you begin. If you have any problems, please contact your tutor. You must discuss an essay plan with your tutor prior to writing your assignment.
• A HARD COPY of your essay (in singlesided printing, stapled in the left top corner and with assessment submission sheet attached) must be handed in to the School Office of Keele Management School. You are also required to submit an ELECTRONIC COPY through the Keele Learning Environment (KLE/Blackboard). Both copies must be identical, and must be received by the correct deadline or will be classed as late or incomplete submission.
• Please remember that it is not acceptable to copy and paste parts of your original assignment into the reassessment assignment, as Keele University regulation does not allow students to submit their own work for more than one coursework assessment